History and general information
Originally called the "Stadium of the People" (Népstadion), Puskás Ferenc Stadion was mostly build by community labour and finished in 1953. Members of the famous Golden Team (Aranycsapat), the old national soccer team that defeated the English national team, also participated in the works of construction and already during this first decade, the stadium hosted several major sporting events.
In the year 2002, the stadium was named after the captain of this team, Ferenc Puskás, the legendary soccer player of the Hungarian national team and the Spanish football club Real Madrid.
The largest one in Hungary, the stadium is an all-seater and can accommodate close to 60000 spectators; its field is primarily used for soccer games, but occassional open-air events, large shows and mega concerts are also held here.
Institutions belonging to the stadium include a statue park, where smaller concerts and family programs are often held during the summer months.